Summer Waxing Grandchildren Moon
Tried out my new Alexander bee veil. It ties across the thorax with a string and has only covering for face and neck, preventing bees from crawling under the veil and from scrambling for a hit to the face. Having suffered one of those I’m glad to have my face protected.
The virtue of the Alexander is that it is much, much cooler than the bee suit, requiring no heavy upper body jacket. The disadvantage, that I discovered today, is that bees can sneak in under the sweat shirt and sting your wrist. Next time I’m going to wear a long-sleeved t-shirt and maybe rubber bands at the wrists.
Today, like last week, involved checking honey supers. The package hive has begun to fill up the single honey super I added to it last week, so I added another super to it today and put on the queen excluder, which I forgot last week. The parent colony has two supers pretty full, perhaps all the way, but the other three supers have little weight. I don’t whether this is normal or light, though some folks seem to have several honey supers filled on older colonies. I guess you get what you get.
The divide, too, has made little headway into the honey supers. The divide has already filled its top hive box with honey and could be “honey-plugged.” Maybe I’ll have to reverse the hive boxes.
Dave convinced me to start gathering bees wax, so I’ve begun scraping it off where it’s in excess, balling it up and bringing it inside. I forget whether I mentioned getting a candle mold and candle-making accessories, but they came with the Alexander veil. A late fall project. I want to make enough candles to burn during the long night of the winter solstice.
This is a bit easier stretch with the colonies. It will be followed by a lot of extracting work.